The world falls into two types of people, you’re either a waiter or a creator.
I had arrived at my hotel at about 6 am, I was literally dying, too many hours spent cramped in a seat next to a stranger who keeps trying to steal your elbow rest. As soon as you are out of the airport there will be people trying to give you a lift, even though I was tired there was no way I’d let anyone charge me more. The guy decided to let me know price the price from the airport to Patong beach would be 1700 baht! No way, there was a sign in front of me saying 180 for the same place, but all you needed was an extra person… I don’t know what difference that makes to their life but anyway I was like 500? Only managed to get it down to 1000, but whatever.
SO, basically when I am home back in London I usually love going out with all my friends, to bars, clubs, house parties, anything involving alcohol. Sometimes a bit too much? I’ve ended up in hospital this time last year, I dont remember how, but I do remember waking up and the party was over, I wasn’t impressed. Another time at Uni I got pIcked up by police after I’d stumbled down the road and passed out, head slumped in my bag. At the station i’d desperately tried ringing my friends off my camera… To no avail. ANYWAY, back to Thailand… Sorry.
First night nerves, I hate approaching people but how else do I make friends? I have really bad anxiety which my mum passes off as just stupidity and to get over it. So I think oh ill just get a pizza, head home, try tomorrow. The pizza man says to walk around while he prepares it, so I walked down found a quiet bar, had one drink which turned into about ten. Pizza man walks over to me about 45 mins too late, at this point I’m not even hungry, and way too drunk playing Jenga, Jackpot and connect 4 with the Thai barmaid, a Japanese traveller and now an Australian. So if you have worries about how to make friends travelling, just remember its so easy to at a bar, alcohol makes people merry and you calmer, sometimes cooler Haha.
I spent so much money because at this point I didn’t know any conversions yet to pounds, idiot! But we were joined by another Thai girl and we left for a club, partied there for hours! And went to some pool hall till 10am! I walked on not knowing any pool and left a champion!
Things I realiseI on my first night:
-The amount of prostitutes that are EVERYWHERE
-The cute girl selling flowers on the street is not cute, she swears at you if you don’t buy something!
– You may get charged if you ask to use a bars toilet, even though their tap doesn’t work, and you have to pour water in the system yourself, what am I a plumber? Shouldn’t you be paying me? Give me my money back.
– A fan in a hot club will save your life.
– The electricity lines fizz for some reason, stand well back!
– crossing the road is a simple game of chance, well, not simple, it took me about ten minutes to cross the first time.
– FINAL THING before I write a novel… DON’T drink water or have drinks from anywhere with ice cubes in ! You will end up in bed like me the whole of the next day or maybe longer! Crying for your parents who can no longer hear you over countless countries. Apart from that final surprise after having a stupid amount of ice packed drinks, (which by the way seemed to be only consumed by me.). Yeah apart from that, couldn’t ask for a better first night, what was I even worrying about?